Build a private integration
This guide will walk you through what steps you need to take to build a private integration from start to finish. We will include information for if you are building with either Zapier Platform UI or Zapier Platform CLI.
Tip: If you haven’t used Zapier before, learn the basics in our Zapier Getting Started Guide.
- You’ll need a Zapier account.
1. Choose your developer tool
2. Create a new integration
Create and add details about your integration. Set your Intended audience to select Private: I’m building an integration for personal use or to explore the Zapier platform.
- Create an integration using Zapier Platform UI
- Create an integration using Zapier Platform CLI
- Note: If you’re building with Zapier Platform CLI, you’ll set your intended audience when you register your app.
3. Create an authentication
Creating an authentication will tell Zapier what credentials users need to authenticate with your API.
- Create an authentication using Zapier Platform UI
- Create an authentication using Zapier Platform CLI
4. Create triggers
Triggers allow users to find new data as soon as it’s available in your app. Use webhooks or polling endpoints to create triggers.
5. Create actions
Actions allow users to either create, search or update records through your API.
- Create an action using Zapier Platform UI
- Create an action using Zapier Platform CLI
6. Test your integration
Test your authentication, triggers, actions, and how your private integration works inside Zapier.
[Optional] Validate your integration
Run automated checks to identify errors and recommendations on how to improve the user experience of your private integration.
[Optional] Invite team members
You can assign different roles and permissions to team members who you’re collaborating with on your private integration.
[Optional] Share your integration
Once you’ve built your integration, you can share it with users who can can create Zaps with it.
Once you’ve built your private integration, you can continue to make further improvements and manage versions of your integration.
- Manage integration versions using Zapier Platform UI
- Manage integration versions using Zapier Platform CLI
Tip: Learn from the Zapier team and other Zapier Platform developers in our community forum.